Monday, July 6, 2009

Money

You walk down the street,
A kid just smiles at you,
The sight of it makes your day,
So, do you pay him too?

Answer this question and I'll have,
A thousand more to ask,
Because friends don't get paid,
For every single task.

I help you when you need it,
Expecting nothing in return,
But you have mocked my feelings,
By handing me money for what I've done.

Maybe you must understand that,
Its not about settling scores,
For, to repay a friend there are,
A million ways and more.

4 comments:

  1. For people who belittle friendship by bringing money into the picture, for a deed that was done with the noblest of intentions, at a time when it was most needed.


    PS: The rhythm of the poem is broken in the last line of Stanza 3 to deliberately drive home the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Venkat.I had been too busy for the last couple of weeks to look this page up. Now that I did I feel too small to comment. But I can recognise something out of the ordinary.I hope I get to see more of your work.
    You will certainly live up to what you have said in your profile!
    A big"God Bless!"
    Venky Periappa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Venky Periappa, Thanks a lot for your comment... But I hope you read "A dream", "Inside Out", "Superhero" and "Lamentations", cause that's what I really want you to read... This poem is just a momentary outpouring of feelings... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I will have to read it again before commenting.
    Just give me a few more days to finish a few nagging personal work!
    reading a poem requires 3 to 4 readings wih no other disturbances!
    Ido not wish to offer a cliched comment!
    Seeyou around soon

    ReplyDelete